Minutes of Vaad Menahel meeting - April 30, 2006

Present:  Penina Arbit, Randi Garber (from 9:00) (chairpersons), Kobi Abelman, Jody Blum, Warren Burstein, Dov Cooper, Esther Edell, Neil Pearlman, Bobbie Silberklang, Debbie Weissman, Philip Yakar.

Apologies: Orit Elgavi, Donna Goldberg.

Absent: Yoni Hammer-Kossoy


Kobi - Need for mezonot at the Kiddush on Pesach. The speaker on Shabbat Hagadol, Tamar Biala, was excellent but did not use a Pesach theme. Also there is a need for children's activities during the talk.

Dov – Even if there is an error on the printed schedule the schedule should be kept to.

Penina – If an error was made in t’filah times, this needs to be corrected even if it means deviating from the printed times. Suggested that megillah readers sit in the front row, to prevent breaks in the flow.

Yom Hashoah

The Yad Vashem event was excellent, 25-30 participants, and it should be repeated in a year or two. The night event also attracted 25-30 participants, and the Reut School pupils gave a good presentation. Next year we will consider co-operation with other Shuls, e.g. Beit Boyar.

Yom Haatzmaut

The Shul (both halls) will be decorated on Tuesday at 18:00. Alan Greenberg will be the Shaliach Tzibbur, and Bambi Sheleg the speaker.

Erev Iyun 08.05.06

Publicity has gone out through Edah, Kolech, and Orit has sent information to a number of synagogues. 100 fliers will be distributed; entry fee 10 NIS. Penina and Neil will staff tables at the entrance, to take money and get people to complete registration information (e-mail address, where people heard about the event).

Micha Goodman will be advised of the event and asked to encourage pupils to attend.

Sound System

The Vaad approved the purchase of a system at the price of 2200 NIS.


The three speakers / teachers will be Jonathan Chipman, David Rosen, Yehiel Greiniman; the order has yet to be fixed. The speaker at the Shabbat Iyun will be Reuven Kimmelman.

Penina will talk to Eudice about a community dinner.

Youth shiurim will begin at 22:30, general Shiurim at 23:30, and will end at 04:00.

Penina will recruit readers for Megillat Rut.

350 NIS approved for decoration; Neil in charge.

Sefer Torah

There are tears in the claf of one of the Sifrei Torah. Yehuda Miklaf has offered to repair it. We will check the timetable for the repair.

Film and Speaker

Agreed we will show a film about a Soferet who will be visiting Israel and invite her to speak at an Erev Iyun. The evening can be in Hebrew or English.

Tichon L'Yad'ha

On Monday May 15th three groups of 50 pupils each will be visiting Yedidya, among other synagogues, to learn about "varieties" of Yahadut (in our case, orthodox).

Friday night groups

The number of groups visiting, while very welcome, has become something of a logistical burden. The importance of such visits, by Jews and non-Jews, is recognized, but we should limit them to twice a month. Agreed we should ask for a minimum donation of 300 NIS from organizations. When the Yedidya Statement of Principles is finalised it will be distributed to all visiting groups.


The future of the Yedidion will be discussed at the next meeting.


The problem of the broken glass panel has been raised with the Kablan and he has been asked to replace it.


A note will be put in Yediot Yedidya asking for members to submit drashot for distribution via the web-site.

Suggested that children's names be added to the membership list and that there be restricted access e.g. by a code. Warren will check ways to do this.

Date of next meeting

Sunday, June 4th, at 20:00.

More minutes