Minutes of Vaad Menahel meeting - September 5, 2005 (1 Elul 5765)


Present: Penina Arbit, Randi Garber (co-chairs), Dana Goldberg-Katkoff, Warren Burstein, Dov Cooper, Jody Blum, Neil Pearlman, Esther Edell, Bobbie Silberklang, Debbie Weissman, Yonni Hammer-Kossoy, Philip Yakar.


Apologies: Kobi Abelman, Orit Elgavi.


1.      Resource Development Committee

Randi reported on the meeting of the committee. Three proposals were made:

a.       To set up a sanctuary fund (chairs, cushions, tables etc.)

b.      To set up a program fund (children and adult).

c.       To set up a basement committee, led by Simon Caplan, to prepare a detailed plan for the basement, including consultation with members of the community.

Randi will prepare a letter for our members and the Yedidion, explaining the process we are embarking on.


2.      Air-Conditioner

We will receive estimates this week.


3.      Yamim Noraim

S'lichot: Shiur will be given by Sophie Feffer. Yonni will ask the Shlichei Tzibbur if they wish to teach niggunim. Timetable: Niggunim 22:00, Shiur 22:45, Break 23:15, S'lichot 23:30.

Pinchas Leiser will give Shiurim during the 10 days. S'lichot will be said after the Shiur and at the morning minyan.

S'lichot erev Rosh Hashanah at 22:00.


Times: Kobi will be asked to prepare times. Esther will prepare the flyer. A draft will be sent to the Gabbaim for comments; the final version will then be distributed.


Kol Nidrei: Benny Lau declined our invitation to speak. We need to find an alternative.


Shabbat Shuvah: Group discussions / learning will take place.


Shlichei Tzibbur: Gabbaim are working on the schedule.


Seats: There are enough chairs in stock. For Kol Nidrei fewer seats will be put upstairs to prevent over-crowding and encourage people to daven downstairs. Gerald Cromer will be asked to daven downstairs, and Arthur Frajnd upstairs.


Hospitality: Pamela Pearlman will take care of individuals; Angela Brice of groups. There is a group coming on Friday night, Chol Hamoed Succot. A welcome letter to guests will be prepared in Hebrew, French and English. Neil has one from previous years and will give it to Randi and Penina. The welcome to guests at the end of T'filot will be given first in English. A request for hosts for the Yamim Noraim will be put in Yediot, with a request to contact Angela Brice (who will be advised first).


Pot Luck lunch: Lunch on Shabbat, before Rosh Hashanah. Dov volunteered to organize. Should be added to schedule.


Thank you and S'lichah from the Vaad to the K'hilla on the day (Rosh Hashanah) when Pinchas Leiser is not speaking.


4.      Books

The "Hevruta" CD will be acquired for the library when new funds are received. Most of the new books have been acquired and are being covered by Yehuda Miklaf.


5.      Yedidion

A call for "One-liners" for the Anniversary addition will be advertised in Yediot.

Business cards = 1/8 of a page.

Caterers will be approached.


6.      Erev Zikaron – Yitzchak Rabin

"Yesodot" will provide a speaker.


7.      Mixed Readings

Next week, Thursday night, Friday morning and Shabbat members will be invited to group discussions on their attitudes and feelings about mixed Torah readings. Tova Avichai-Kremer, Pamela Pearlman and Joop Maijers will lead the groups. Questionnaires will be available for those unable to attend in person. The Vaad will meet before Rosh Hashanah to make a final decision.


8.      Budget for Exhibition

A further 300 NIS was approved for expenses arising out of the current exhibition in the Sanctuary.


9.      Kallot Torah

Dori Ouaknin, Debbie Weissman, Donna Goldberg, Danielle Bernstein and Dina Weiner-Kahn will meet to discuss preparations for women’s readings on Simchat Torah and choose the Kallot.


10.  Folk Dance

Will begin on Sunday 18th September. Dov will give Debbie Weissman a key.


11.  Guests

The idea of guests publicly presenting themselves at the end of T'filot was not considered appropriate.


12.  Date of Next Meeting

21.09 or 27.09. Members will be advised.

More minutes