Minutes of Vaad Menahel meeting - February 2, 2005

Present: Randi Garber, Penina Arbit (chairpersons), Dov Cooper, Bobbie Silberklang, Kobi Abelman, Yoni Hammer-Kossoy, Neil Pearlman, Dana Goldberg, Philip Yakar (Administrator)

Apologies: Debbie Weissman, Warren Burstein, Orit Elgavi, Esther Edell

Friday night Gabbai

Thanks to David Wilensky who has agreed to take this job on.


Thursday 24/3 Taanit Esther, Minchah at 17:15.

T'filat Arvit 18:15 and first Megilah reading.

Second T'filat Arvit and Megilah reading 19:45.

Friday 25/3 7:30 Shacharit + Megila reading.

9:15 Women's reading.

The idea of a party on Motzei Shabbat was rejected.

Sunday 27/3. Shacharit. Time to be fixed after consultation with the regular participants. (Kobi). Purim Seudah at 16:30. Bruce Rosen, Reba Javit and Jennifer Bayer to be asked to organize the Seudah.

Mishloach Manot will be sent to Member's children who are in the Army or Sherut Leumi. 25 NIS will be budgeted for each one. This will be publicised in Yediot, including request for personal details to be sent to Debbie Kalker / Nadia Cohen. Nadia, Debbie and Sharon Avigad have volunteered to prepare all the manot.

In the Mishloah Manot letter a request for 20 NIS will be added to cover the cost.

Bobbie Silberklang offered to help in any capacity required.

Budget for the Seudah: approved up to 1000 NIS in addition to income from participants.

For the Purimshpiel a pianist is required.


Shabbat Hagadol is Erev Pesach April 23. Should there be an early minyan?

Shabbat (April 16) Richie Cohen may want to do a Shabbat Kallah.

A response is awaited from Rav Shmuel Reiner about drasha that Shabbat.

If possible the park should be used for Kiddush and Hamotzi on Shabbat Hagadol, before Kriat Hatorah.

Shacharit – first day – at 9:00 a.m. No Kiddush that day.

Shir Hashirim and Women's reading on 7th day. A volunteer will be sought through Yediot for the siyum on Taanit B'chorot.

Yom Haatzmaut

Debbie Weissman is looking for a good speaker.

Review of events

Annual General Meeting

Was well attended. Minutes will be posted on the site.

Tu B'Shvat

Thanks were expressed to Barbara Gingold for her initiative and to all those who helped and volunteered their time.

Both the children's activity and Asher Arbit's presentation were well received.

The books leftover will be on sale at the blood drive, and, if not sold, will be given away to appropriate libraries and organizations.

A small profit was made on the event.

Upcoming events

Choir concert

All arrangements are in place. There is a need for everybody to buy and sell tickets to friends, neighbours and colleagues.

Erev Limud on Women's readings

This will take place on Motza'sh February 26. The speakers will be Rabbis Henkin and Sperber.

"Simon and Garfunkel" concert

The date has yet to be finalised but may be on March 6. The cost will be approx. 3000 NIS.

Blood Drive

Scheduled for Rosh Chodesh Adar II. Details will be advised.


30 rooms in the Youth Hostel in Beit Shean have been booked for March 19. The cost is 526 NIS per couple, additional sum for children. An additional Shabbaton in May, at Ma’agan Michael, is being considered.

Room sizes need to be checked.

Pinchas Leiser will organize the limmud.

Asher Arbit will lead the tiyul.

A letter to members will be sent soon.

Those wanting a price reduction will be invited to apply. There will be no general subsidy.

Shabbat Noar

Will take place on Shabbat T'rumah.

Dov Rabinowitz is preparing children for the section of the tefila from Ein Keiloheinu to the end of Musaf. To be coordinated with gabba'im.

Shabbat Rentals

Problems have arisen recently with the alarm on Shabbat and with Baalei Simcha giving keys to caterers.

A number of possibilities were raised as to action that might be taken against members who disobey the house rules.

It was agreed:

All members must clear all paperwork with Philip, including payment, before events.

Minimal cleaning-up is required after every meal.

Penina is prepared to meet Simcha families on Thursday to give key and instructions.

Caterers are not to be given keys.

Penina and Randi will review and revise the instruction sheet given to members.

The extra cleaning required after special Smachot Kiddushim will be discussed at the next meeting.

Netivot Hatorah

Neil, Jody, Randi and Philip met again with Rabbi Berman. By our calculations they will have to pay some $1200 + utilities (per months?) We stressed our needs for use of the building. They will have an answer in about two weeks about the programme's viability. The Vaad approved continuing negotiations.

Resource Development Committee

Randi reported on the setting-up of this new committee.

Date of next meeting

March 7, 2005 at 20:00.

More minutes