Minutes of Vaad Menahel meeting 08.06.09

 

Present: Miriam Fine, Noomi Stahl (co-chairpersons), Kobi Ableman, Penina Arbit, Esther Edell, Donna Goldberg, Daniel Rohrlich, Michael Stahl

Carol Fuchs, Debbie Greiniman (Vaadat Bikoret)

Philip Yakar (administrator)

 

  1. Minutes of the previous meeting

Were approved and signed.

 

  1. Tisha B'Av

Chaim Goldgraber, in consultation with Debbie Weisman, will be taking care of finding speakers for events in the future, including the shiur on Tisha B'Av.

Penina will be in touch with the Gabbaim about readers of Echa.

 

  1. Review of Shavuot

Both the adult's and kid's 11:00 shiurim were not so well attended. About 25 people were at the 12:00 shiur and smaller groups at 2:00 and 3:00.

Yossi Bloch's shiur, in English, was well attended. The dinner attendance was down on last year. For next year Danielle Bernstein has agreed to help with the planning of the Tikkun.

 

  1. Non-Member B'nei Mitzvah and Part-Year Memberships

(Eudice Harris and Dov Cooper took part in this discussion.)

The issues of people joining just for S'machot and part-year dues were raised. It was not felt appropriate that people be permitted to become members in order to enjoy a lower price (or no payment at all) for a bar/bat-mitzvah.

At present the non-member fee for making a bar/bat mitzvah is 1000 NIS.

Suggestions were made as follows (not agreed upon by the vaad):

-          single-parent families pay 500 NIS

-          there be a sliding fee, but no membership dues paid

-          a person be appointed to meet with potential members

-          potential celebrants must attend every Shabbat for at least a month before their reading.

Agreed:

The existing instruction sheet will be expanded to include decorum issues. Kobi agreed to contact Itim and other organizations to see if they have such a sheet.

-          There will be no part year memberships. People can make donations and wait for the following year to become members.

-          The fee for bar/bat-mitzvah for non-members will be 1000 NIS. Requests for reductions will be referred to the chairpersons for their decision.

 

  1. Checklist for Events

Miriam proposed that a form be developed so that things did not 'fall between the cracks' and get forgotten.

Esther reminded the Vaad that she had prepared a budget request form for events several months ago and that items could be added to it for the proposed use.

Debbie Greiniman asked if the programme planner was also responsible for logistics (e.g. cold drinks on Shavuot, transport for speakers on Yom Hashoah).

Miriam stressed that, in the short-term, an arrangement is needed for coordination, and she will prepare the check-list.

 

  1. Annual Meeting (A.G.M.)

Because of the late receipt of the auditor's report for 2008 it was agreed to postpone the AGM until 23rd June. A number of members were suggested as potential Vaad members and Noomi agreed to ask if they are interested; Bob Carroll, Alyssa Moss-Rabinovitz, Yehuda Mandlebom, Sara Kass, Tehilah Nachlon, Martin Binnes, Ofir & Sara Yarden. Chaim Goldgraber will be asked to find a speaker for the meeting and Gil Troy's name was suggested.

 

  1. Kenes Kolech

A volunteer from Yedidya is being sought to be on the Steering Committee.

Noomi will ask Danielle Bernstein and Meesh Hammer-Kossoy if they are interested.

 

  1. Kolech Beit Midrash

A meeting took place between Kolech representatives and ourselves, but they have yet to get back to us, so there is nothing new to report at the moment.

9. Honouring High School Graduates

This will take place this Shabbat. There will be a special Kiddush and the graduates (some 15) will receive honours and lead prayers. Eudice and Donna are working on this together.

 

  1. Recent Programmes
    1. About 30 people attended Yael Unterman's presentation on Nechama Leibowitz.
    2. Metuna 100 plus attendance.
    3. 'High School Musical' was very successful; both performances were full. The contribution to the Kupat Tzedaka is not yet known.

 

  1. Basement Progress

Yuval Baer and Shoshana Baumgarten constitute the design committee and are looking for more people to join them. Donna is interested.

 

  1. Finance
    1. Following the recommendation of the Finance Committee it was agreed to work with Isracard, who accept Visa and Isracards, for dues, Building Fund and other donations. Since only 12 payments are available through Isracard, donors to the Building Fund (three years) will be asked to sign a commitment in advance. People may still pay by check
    2. Dues will be raised by 2% to cover the credit card charge with a reduction of 2% available if payments are made by checks. Noomi will advise Warren on the changes needed for the dues, calculated by Esther.
    3. The transfer of 245,054 NIS (rate on 25.05.09) from U-bank to the Bank Hapoalim was approved. Kobi pointed out that U-bank may be able to match Bank Hapoalim's interest. Esther will speak to both banks about the interest the bank will give on this sum and decide according to the information received.
    4. Given that U-bank does not charge a Dollar to Shekel conversion charge it was decided not to put General Fund dollars in Bank Hapoalim.

 

  1. Miscellaneous
    1. The Barbara Wachs Memorial Evening will take place at yedidya on 21st July, main speaker Rabbi David Golinkin.
    2. David Amit has agreed to guide a visit to the Temple model at the Israel Museum on 28th July.
    3. 30 Keren Hebrew-English siddurim will be purchased for the Shul and members will be offered the chance to buy more. Carol agreed to write something for Yediot. Those who wish can dedicate siddurim for the shul.

 

  1. Date of next meeting

Monday 6th July at 20:00.