Minutes of Vaad Menahel Meeting - July 10, 2007

Present: Penina Arbit, Randi Garber (co-chairs), Kobi Ableman, Jody Blum, Warren Burstein, Simon Caplan, Esther Edell, Donna Goldberg, Daniel Rohrlich, Neil Pearlman, Bobbie Silberklang, Miriam Fine (Vaadat Bikoret), Philip Yakar (administrator), Eudice Harris (for maintenance report).

Minutes of the previous Meeting were approved and signed.

Report from the Minhag Committee

Penina, who attended the Minhag Committee meeting, reported on their deliberations and recommendations.

For Womens' Torah readings the committee recommends that the Sefer Torah will be taken from the Aron downstairs. Kobi recommends that this be brought to the Vaad, and, perhaps, the Kehilla for approval. This recommendation will be raised at the next Vaad meeting.

A suggestion was made to split the reading of the four t'filot, now read together after the Haftarah, but in the end this will not be enacted. However, in order to make the recitation of the prayers less "tedious", it was suggested that all the t'filot readers learn the tune used by Nava Sykes and Vered Porat.

Decided that, instead of candy being thrown at bar/bat mitzvah celebrants and children picking the candy up from the floor, the baalei hasimcha will give them out to the children.

Shmita year: Penina will follow-up with Barbara Gingold about care of the garden. Also rules about produce for Kiddushim will be discusseddicussed at the next meeting.. Daniel Rohrlich agreed to take on a project about the social aspects of Shmita. This will involve the whole Kehilla and details will be presented at the next Vaad meeting.

An open discussion about Simchat Torah will take place on July 12th. Also members will be invited to send their opinions by e-mail, to Michael Stahl, and, if needed, to commit to action. The Gabbaim will make the final decisions.

Kobi reminded the meeting that all Minhag Committee decisions should be brought to the Vaad as recommendations for approval.

Maintenance

Eudice reported on the following matters which have either been dealt with or are in the process of being taken care of:

Broken tables (replaced by Keter), air conditioners and compressors, electricity cut-outs (Michael Stahl now involved), door-handles, sink, shtenders, anti-bug spray, glass fixture in the upstairs ceiling. Recommended that the front door on the kitchen side be left unlocked on Shabbat.

We are still looking for a cleaner and need to employ a good maintenance person. The Finance Committee is requested to examine the financial consequences of employing one person to do cleaning, maintenance and events.

The electricity bill for the first five months of 2007 is lower than last year. A letter will be sent to the Irya about the truck parked permanently by the Shul. Also a request will be sent to paint perpendicular lines for parking spaces in the parking bay between the two Shuls.

Equipment has been purchased for cleaning the big windows so professional cleaning is not required.

Eudice, Marc and Judith will be going to Holon to check chairs for the sanctuary. Vaad members suggested other suppliers.

The Vaad expressed their gratitude to Eudice for all her work.

Organisation Renewal Plan

A further meeting of the committee set up at a previous Vaad meeting took place. Their recommendations will be put before the Shatil consultant with whom the chairpersons and Philip will be meeting during July. Meanwhile all are asked to think of members, especially younger ones, who can be approached to take on roles of responsibility, in order to increase their involvement.

Tisha B'Av

Times were fixed as follows: Maariv – 20:30, Speaker – 21:30. People will be asked to bring flashlights, not candles.

Yamim Noraim

The Gabbaim will be meeting soon to discuss Baalei T'filah, and those responsible for the Divrei Torah will be advised, in order to avoid clashes.

Kobi, in coordination with Debbie Greiniman and Eti Ashkenazi, will arrange speakers for S'lichot, Shabbat Shuvah and Kol Nidrei.

Miscellaneous

Warren will consult with Bruce on the best way to add member's pictures to a secured membership list on our web-site.

A request to hold Shabbat meals at Yedidya has been received from a local French Community. Agreed that we can offer only lunch, and this only after a careful check of who the Rav is and where from in France. Daniel Rohrlich asked to receive details for checking through his contacts.

Date of next meeting

21st August 2007 at 20:00.


More minutes