Present: Penina Arbit, Randi Garber (chairpersons), Warren Burstein, Debbie Weissman, Kobi Abelman, Esther Edell, Yonni Hammer-Kossoy, Neil Pearlman, Donna Goldberg, Tzvi Ariel, Bobby Silberklang, Dov Cooper, Philip Yakar (Administrator).
Apologies: Orit Elgavi.
The schedule has been sent out.
Warren will lead the Siyum.
This week there will be a special kiddush on Shabbat (Shabbat Kallah for Richie Cohen's daughter). Chalot will be provided for Hamotzie. After kiddush drashah of Micha Goodman.
First minyan 06:30.
Second minyan 08:15. Break after Shacharit, for kiddush in the park. We will buy 10 boxes of matzah ashirah.
The building will be thoroughly cleaned by Tuesday when floors will be professionally cleaned and extermination material put down. No entry will be allowed to the building on Tuesday.
On 7th day there will be a Kiddush and lunch. The kitchen will be kashered for Pesach.
Tzvi Ariel will do the bedikat chametz.
Chol Hamoed Shacharit will be at 6:30. Baalei T'fillah and Torah readers will be prepared.
Debbie Weissman will give the drashot on the two Shabbatot and a short one between Mincha and Maariv leil haseder.
On the 7th day morning there will be no drashah.
Was reviewed in e-mail responses.
Purim passed successfully, without problems (and a small profit).
The concert was very successful musically, but only 60 tickets were sold. There were many other events around the same time. Next event the selling of tickets must be more aggressive. Also, we must find a way to make the hall feel less empty.
The memorial evening for Yehudit Hollander was very well attended, but showed the need for an efficient amplification system (microphone and speakers).
Philip gave a report on the last Finance Committee meeting. Updated figures will be given after the next Finance Committee meeting. The new budget should reflect needs as expressed by the Vaad Menahel, including a need for a maintenance fund, and other items. The FC will consider rental fees. A Use of Building committee member should participate in such a discussion.
The FC approved continuation of the administrator working 15 hrs/week, with no overtime. The administrator will keep the Yoshvot Rosh informed of the division of his time among his various responsibilities. If there are responsibilities that are not covered within the administrator's working hours, the Yoshvot Rosh will prioritize the responsibilities/tasks to be done and consider which can be taken on by members of the Kehilla.
A previous vaad decision accorded the administrator 23 days/year as is generally the practice in the public sector.
The administrator accrued 221 Hours (15 weeks) of vacation time through 31 January 2005. The vaad feels that given the current financial situation, it may be better to pay off some or all of these hours now. The finance committee is asked to make a recommendation in this regard. Any hours not paid off at this time can be used by the administrator as additional vacation days (up to 2 additional weeks/year) and if there is any remaining time when the administrator finishes his position, it will be paid then.
A visit to the new wing of Yad Vashem will be arranged for a Friday, date to be advised. Thanks to David Silberklang for his help and initiative. An evening event will be set up, too, and David Silberklang is looking for a speaker. Esther Edell also suggested showing the video “Pola’s March” whch is about her mother’s return to Krakow, Poland with a “March of the Living” group. Penina will speak to D. Silberklang about this.
Stuart Shoffman has tentatively agreed to speak. We are awaiting a final answer from him. The Halachah and Minhag Committee has approved the use of musical instruments during Hallel. Dancing will take place downstairs; appropriate CD's will be purchased. No tiyul will be organized.
Penina will seek an update from those responsible for recruiting teachers for the Tikun.
This will take place on Tuesdays, starting after Pesach, in the playroom/office.
Tzvi Ariel and Yehuda Miklaf met with the carpenter and designs will be prepared for approval by the Design Committee (Tzvi, Judith Green, Chaim Watzman and Marc Render) and members of the Vaad, Penina, Donna and Esther.
Tzvi raised the question of the place of the table, i.e. on the men's side (as now) or in the middle (as upstairs), which raises the question of the mechitza. Tzvi will ask for an option for side additions, which can be added at a later date and which will require a further donation.
The book-case is being ordered according to the approved budget.
Dissatisfaction was expressed over Shlomo's work. It was agreed that we should seek a new Sharat to be present at events and do light repairs and occasional cleaning. If the new Sharat is not available for specific events (e.g daytime) Shlomo will be retained for these.
The present art items will be taken down by Yom Haatzmaut.
They will be replaced by works by Marcel Chitrit. The pictures (of Nature) have been seen and found suitable for the Shul. There is a need for new tracks over the back window, within the approved budget.
Penina printed out that some members feel that art items should not be hung at all upstairs. Debbie responded that there will always be people who do not like the exhibits.
Suggested that the exhibition remains until Rosh Hashanah or we propose a shorter time with possibility of an extension.
Yom Yerushalayim will be a good opportunity for an official opening.
The Vaad discussed the issue at length. It arose as a result of indiscreet, and some consider, irresponsible, carrying of weapons. In light of this the Vaad approved the following statement:
The Vaad recognizes the need for guns to be carried in our country but requests that, if congregants feel the need to bring them to the Beit Knesset, they be carried discreetly and responsibly, and according to the rules set by the security authorities (I.D.F. and Police).
Sunday, May 15th at 20:00.